Self-awareness is the key to personal success. However, learning to understand yourself is not so easy. Here are more details.
There are three things that are extremely difficult to do: break steel, crush a diamond, and know yourself.
Benjamin Franklin, politician, scientist and inventor
Ask yourself these 20 questions
Unfortunately, there is no single path to self-awareness. Every person is unique. And the only one who can help you know yourself is yourself. Some say that you need to live for this, and wisdom will come by itself, but what if it takes 60 years? You can wait, but then you will have an unconscious life behind you.
Read also: This Is How Friends Affect Our Performance
To speed up this process, first, answer the following questions honestly. You can do this in any order. Don’t think too long about your answer. The one that first appears in the thoughts will be the faithful one.
- What can I do well?
- What am I doing very well?
- What am I doing badly?
- What am I getting tired of?
- What is the most important thing in my life for me?
- Who are the most important people in my life?
- How many hours of sleep do I need per night?
- What makes me nervous?
- What calms me down?
- What is success in my understanding of this word?
- What type of worker am I?
- How do I want to look in the eyes of others?
- What makes me sad?
- What makes me happy?
- What makes me angry?
- What kind of person do I want to be?
- What kind of friend do I want to be?
- What is my opinion of myself?
- What do I value in life?
- What am I afraid of?
Please note that everyone interprets these questions differently. This means that there are no right or wrong answers.
Analyze the answers
Answering these questions honestly will help you redefine and improve your life. The process itself is important here. By answering questions clearly, you develop your thinking. Aristotle used the word “logos” – concepts that contain the speaker’s unbiased, logical arguments.
Learn to express your feelings and emotions in words. Your answers should be sincere so that you understand your strengths and weaknesses. Don’t try to hide things from yourself or make yourself look good. Pay attention to what qualities you would like to change, what hinders you in life. Do what you know how and what makes you happy. Avoid what you do wrong and what makes you unhappy.
Just don’t go overboard. Remember that there are wonderful moments and difficult situations in life. If you are having difficulties in your personal life, you should not end the relationship right away. Just be aware of the cause of these difficulties, such as selfishness, lies, or misunderstandings, and try to eliminate them.
Also read: 7 Ways to Deal With Loneliness
- Study the works of philosophers.
- Be neutral in conversations. Don’t try to be right all the time. View the problem from different perspectives.
- Write down your thoughts. Always ask yourself why something happened.
- Speak. Communication is essential. Talk to family, friends, colleagues. You will know yourself by expressing your feelings, especially if you are asked questions that make you think.
This method can be the beginning of your path to self-awareness.
Adapted and translated by The Cop Cart Staff
Sources: Life hacker