Properties of mallow to cure hemorrhoids
Mallow is a plant with many medicinal properties thanks to the components it contains, such as mucilage, flavonoids, beta-carotene, vitamin C, thiamine, niacin, etc. Among all its curative uses, is the treatment of hemorrhoids, and it can be very soothing when the symptoms of these bumps in the anal area are bothersome and cause discomfort. Next, we will show you which are the main properties of mallow to cure hemorrhoids.
The main cause of hemorrhoids is constipation, a condition that makes it difficult or impossible to pass stool. This causes the affected person to have to make a great effort when defecating and that the pressure of the anus increases, thus promoting the development of hemorrhoids in the rectal area.
Well, mallow is a good natural remedy to combat constipation thanks to the fact that it has laxative properties that facilitate the expulsion of stool and its content in mucilage, a soluble fiber that allows regulating intestinal transit and getting it to function normally again.
It is Anti-Inflammatory
Mallow also has very powerful anti-inflammatory properties, so it will be of great help to reduce the swelling of hemorrhoids and, therefore, to reduce the pain, stinging, and itching that they generate.
It is Emollient and Healing
It also stands out for being an excellent natural emollient and healing agent. It helps to heal any skin condition or skin lesion, including hemorrhoids, more quickly, and allows the damaged dermis to regenerate and heal much faster.
Mallow Sitz Baths for Hemorrhoids
The best way to use mallow for hemorrhoids is to carry out sitz baths that include this plant in their preparation. With this, you can reduce the main symptoms of hemorrhoids externally, getting rid of inflammation, pain, itching, and stinging much more quickly.
First, take note of what you will need to make a mallow hemorrhoid sitz bath:
- a handful of dried mallow flowers and leaves
- 1 liter of water
Steps to Follow
- Put a pot on the fire, add the water and mallow and let it boil for about 5 minutes. After this time, let it warm and strain the liquid.
- Fill the bathtub or a basin with warm water (very important that it is not hot) and add the previous mallow preparation.
- Immerse your hips and anal region in the water and soak for at least 15-20 minutes to reduce symptoms.
- Repeat the treatment 2 to 3 times a day for 1 to 2 weeks until the bumps are completely gone.
It is important that you do not add non-neutral soaps, bath salts, or other harsh products, as these could cause irritation in the area and make hemorrhoids worse.
Drink Mallow Tea for Hemorrhoids
Another home remedy for hemorrhoids that you can benefit from when you suffer from this condition is mallow tea or infusion. This especially is useful to improve the functioning of the digestive system, combat slow intestinal transit, and relieve constipation. All this will make the stool soften and you will not have to make great efforts to expel it. The ingredients you need to prepare mallow tea for hemorrhoids are the following:
- 1 or 2 teaspoons of dried mallow flowers and leaves
- 1 cup of water
To make the infusion, you just have to boil the equivalent of 1 cup of water in a saucepan and when it reaches the boiling point, add the mallow. Allow it to boil for around 3 minutes, then turn off the heat and let it steep for about 3 more minutes. Finally, strain, let it warm, and drink 2 or 3 cups a day. If you want to enhance the flavor, you can add a little sugar.
However, below we show you which are the contraindications of mallow so that you can previously make sure that its consumption will not be harmful to your health:
- Pregnant and lactating women should check with their doctor if mallow consumption is safe for them.
- Medications are being taken orally, as due to its high fiber content, it could modify the effects of some drugs if consumed in excess.
- Excessive consumption of mallow can affect glucose levels in the blood, so patients with diabetes should take special care.
Other Home Remedies for Hemorrhoids
You can not only use mallow for hemorrhoids, as there are many other natural products with anti-inflammatory, laxative, soothing and healing properties that will help you overcome this condition in less time than expected. Some of the ones that work best are
Read also: How to Wax with Honey
- Aloe vera: apply a little aloe vera gel directly to the affected area and leave it on overnight. Get more details in the article How to use aloe for hemorrhoids.
- Garlic: cut a clove of garlic and apply on the affected area or prepare an infusion with it and apply a soaked gauze.
- Chamomile: prepare a chamomile infusion and take a sitz bath with it for about 15 minutes.
- Cloves: prepare an infusion with cloves, soak a cotton ball in it and apply it directly to the hemorrhoids.