Although there are pharmaceutical treatments that help you reduce this discomfort, in this article we show you 10 home remedies for itching in the intimate parts, which are very effective and useful as an aid for the medical treatment of the cause. In addition, we want to clarify that if this type of itching is constant or appears very frequently, we recommend that you go to the gynecologist for the appropriate treatment. Because in this case, it is not appropriate to treat only the itch or stinging symptom because it is likely that it will not be completely solved and your intimate health will worsen, so the cause must be treated.
If you have already gone to the doctor and know what is the cause of your vaginal itching, you can use the following home remedies for itching in the intimate area, as long as they are a complement to the pharmaceutical treatment that you have been given.
We start by recommending the use of yogurt, as this probiotic product provides good bacteria for the body and has antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory properties, which goes very well to reduce itching and stinging. In fact, it is a natural treatment for yeast infection well known for its effectiveness.
To use natural yogurt to relieve itching in private parts you have to follow these steps:
- After washing your hands well with soap and water, you can apply the yogurt all over the affected area or you can use a tampon by dipping it into the yogurt and inserting it into the vagina.
- You will notice relief almost immediately, but for a greater effect, let it sit for a maximum of two hours.
- Then you will have to remove the tampon, if you have used it, and wash well with warm water and specific soap for the vaginal area, or with a neutral pH, to remove all the remains.
It should be applied twice a day until you notice that you no longer have this annoying symptom.
Another good home remedy to relieve vaginal itching is the sage plant. The infusion of sage has antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, and antiseptic properties, which makes it an excellent remedy for this itching sensation. To use sage to relieve itching in private parts, follow these guidelines:
- Boil a few sage leaves in water for 10 minutes to prepare the infusion or tea.
- Strain the liquid to remove the leaves and let it cool.
- Once the infusion has cooled, wash it in the vagina twice a day for a few minutes. You can do it by irrigation or you can fill the bathtub with a little water to pour the infusion and make a sitz bath more comfortably. In the case of the bathroom, you will need more infusion and we recommend preparing between 1 and 2 liters to pour into the water.
Garlic has a powerful antibiotic action that fights a wide range of bacteria and fungi. To relieve vaginal itching with garlic you can follow these indications:
- Peel and crush three cloves of garlic.
- Boil them for 10 minutes and strain the liquid.
- When it has cooled down, wash the vaginal area with the infusion once a day for a week.
Another option if you want to use garlic for genital itching is to apply a little garlic oil to the area. You have to do it a couple of times a day until you stop noticing these discomforts.
Tea Tree Essential Oil
Tea tree essential oil is one of the best known natural treatments to combat and prevent fungal and bacterial infections, as it has excellent antiseptic, antifungal, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties. To use this remedy you can do vaginal washes with water and tea tree.
- Mix 1 liter of warm water with 10 drops of this oil.
- Pour the mixture on the part affected by the discomfort or, prepare a sitz bath with the tea tree diluted in the same proportion.
- Another option is to wet compresses or a cloth with this mixture to dab on the irritated and itchy part.
You can do it once daily for as long as the discomfort lasts.
This plant has a powerful antiseptic action, so it is also a good remedy for vaginal itching. If among the home remedies for itching and itching of the vagina that we show you want to try the infusion of pennyroyal, take note:
- You only have to boil 30 grams of pennyroyal in hot water
- Strain the liquid to remove the leaves.
- Once it is cold, douche twice a day with this infusion or, wet gauze or compresses to apply the pennyroyal with gentle touches on the affected area.
Chamomile Sitz Bath
The chamomile to soothe itchy private parts is very effective because it has an antiseptic soothing and an anti-inflammatory. To wash the intimate area with chamomile, prepare a sitz bath as follows:
- Prepare an infusion of chamomile, with leaves and flowers (use 1 tablespoon of chamomile for every 200 ml of water). Let it boil for 5-10 minutes.
- Strain the infusion and let it warm.
- In a bathtub with little lukewarm water or in a bucket or basin of water, add the infusion.
- Sit so that the water covers your intimate area well and stay that way for at least 15 to 20 minutes.
- Do not rinse or dry the area directly. Wait at least a couple of hours before washing yourself thoroughly.
Salt Water Bath
Saltwater is antiseptic and soothing, so it can help you to improve itching and burning problems in the vagina. However, we do not recommend this remedy to use as a first option if the area is very irritated, as the salt can sting a lot and irritate more.
Prepare a saltwater bath to relieve intimate itching like this:
- Prepare a bucket of warm water or put a little water in the bathtub, just enough to cover your intimate part when you sit down.
- Add at least 5 tablespoons of salt, depending on the amount of water you use.
- Sit down and let it work for 15 to 30 minutes, then gently pat the area dry.
You can repeat it as many times a day as you see necessary.
The vinegar itching is a very good choice because thanks to acetic acid containing relieve itching and reduce inflammation. Use apple cider vinegar for itching in the intimate area in this way:
- Dip a cloth or gauze or compress in the apple cider vinegar and dab it gently on the affected area. If it stings you can reduce the vinegar with water.
- Let it take effect for about 15 to 30 minutes and wash well with warm or cold water to remove the remains.
- Keep in mind that another way is to make a sitz bath using about 5 tablespoons of this vinegar for every liter of water.
One of the best home remedies for itching in the intimate area if what you are looking for is immediate relief is the application of cold compresses since blood circulation is reduced in the area and it calms down and deflates. For example, you can use cold compresses for vaginal itching :
- Soak some compresses or gauze in very cold water or wrap some ice cubes in compresses or gauze or even in a very clean cotton cloth.
- Place the gauze pads on your genital lips and let the cold take effect for a few seconds. Also, especially if you use ice, make gentle touches without leaving the cloth on the skin for a long time. You will notice quick relief, but this remedy is not definitive to stop the itching because the cause of the problem will have to be treated.
- As the compresses warm, you can re-soak them in cool water. However, you should do it for a few minutes at a time and then let the area calm down and rest, before applying another remedy or repeating this one.
This remedy is very good to combine with others and thus have more relief.
Aloe vera or aloe vera gel is very hydrating and soothing, and it can also help with some types of infections. To use aloe vera to relieve genital itching take note:
- Buy the aloe gel or extract it from the plant, but in this case, make sure to remove the aloin (yellowish part) it contains by leaving the cut of the leaf in water for 24 hours.
- Use aloe vera gel as an intimate moisturizing cream or gel for the vulva area and the entrance to the vagina, that is, applying it carefully to the irritated and itchy area. You can apply it several times a day and for as many days as you need, until you no longer have discomfort or finish your medical treatment.
Another option is to dip a tampon in this refreshing gel and leave it in for a couple of hours. After removing it, wash the area very well with a specific soap for the intimate area or with a neutral pH. You can do it once or twice a day.
Causes of Itching in Private Parts
What we know as itching in the intimate parts are those that can occur at the entrance of the vagina, on the inner and outer lips, that is, on the vulva. In addition, this type of itching is usually accompanied by other symptoms such as irritation, inflammation of the lips, and redness of the vulva. There are several possible causes and, therefore, it is necessary for a doctor to diagnose the problem and its origin, in order to find the best treatment. These are the main causes of itching in the intimate area :
- Vaginal infection: the most common is due to the appearance of fungi ( candidiasis ) and through bacteria (such as gonorrhea and chlamydia). Generally, in addition to vaginal itching, there are also symptoms such as painful urination, lack of lubrication, discharge with an unpleasant smell, and pain during intercourse.
- Vaginal dryness: it is a genital disorder characterized by the lack of lubrication in the vagina, which can also cause itching in the vulva. Here you can learn more natural remedies for vaginal dryness.
- Genital seborrhea: it is not very common in this area of the body but, if it occurs, genital itching is one of the symptoms of this problem.
- Vulvar dermatitis: it is a type of vaginal infection that occurs due to the aggressions suffered, either by contact (use of inappropriate clothing) or by an allergic reaction produced by creams, chemical soaps, deodorants, and other products with aggressive chemicals.
- Skin parasites: the most common is scabies, which can cause intense itching in the vaginal area.
- Parasites in pubic hair: Crabs are the germs that appear the most and are usually transmitted through sexual intercourse.
Tips to Prevent Itching in the Intimate Area
Finally, after explaining the possible causes and having shown you the best home remedies for itching in private parts, we want to talk about how to avoid them. Therefore, below, we give you some recommendations to prevent itching in the intimate area :
- Maintain good vaginal hygiene: proper washing of the genitals can help us prevent many infections in the vagina. Try using specialized soaps for private parts and with natural ingredients.
- Have a proper anal cleaning: it is important to also have this area clean since germs and microbes could be drawn into the vagina.
- Wear comfortable clothing: try to wear loose clothing and, if possible, made of cotton to maintain both good ventilation and correct humidity of the intimate parts.
- Use compresses and menstrual cup: during menstruation, the use of compresses and the menstrual cup is more recommended than tampons, since they obstruct the outflow of blood and absorb it, but it can be retained for too long and, consequently, favor the development of vaginal infections.