If you want to know how to achieve it, we give you tricks so that you know how to add volume to fine and sparse hair yourself. Keep reading!
Use a Hair Dryer
If you have fine hair and in little quantity, one of the most effective tricks to achieve a full mane is to blow-dry your hair upside down. Also, this is a perfect option to give volume to the hair. If you want to know how to give volume to the roots with the dryer is very simple, you have to follow these steps
- Wipe off excess moisture with a towel.
- Apply a little hairspray on the root, without getting too close not to get it wet.
- With your head upside down, blow dry your hair by gently massaging the roots with your fingertips. This movement of your fingers will create a very natural carding effect.
- To finish the drying, apply air with the dryer.
- Raise your head and style with a separate spike comb.
If you have already tried dry shampoo to avoid washing your hair so often, we have to tell you that you can also use it to give volume to the roots. If you want to achieve long-lasting volume, this is the way to achieve it:
- Turn your head upside down.
- Spray a little product on the roots. Do it about 12 inches apart to avoid staining your hair.
- Leave on for 1 minute.
- Massage the roots with a towel in circular motions.
- Raise your head and comb with a wide-toothed comb.
Add Volume with Shampoo
To achieve full-bodied hair, you must not forget to use a shampoo to give volume to fine hair. These types of products do not contain silicones in their formulas and usually contain vitamins, oils, and plant extracts as their main ingredients. All these components contribute to the strengthening and densification of the hair fiber.
When washing it, avoid rubbing the hair to prevent breaking the fibers. You should only wash the scalp by gently massaging the roots. The foam that falls on the middle and ends will be enough to keep the hair clean.
Haircuts to Give Volume
Knowing how to choose a haircut that suits you can make a big difference between voluminous hair and thinner hair. If you have little and very fine hair and you wonder what cut suits you, some of the best haircuts for fine hair without volume are
- Long bob with straight and dense bangs.
- Layered cuts. Any cut you wear must have some texture to provide volume and movement. An example of a highly textured cut is the shag or shaggy cut.
- Pixie cut with long layers.
- Midi mane.
Sleep with Braids
If you want to increase the thickness of fine hair and wake up with voluminous hair and waves, we give you two ideas of hairstyles for sleep: braids or high buns.
Get them done before you go to bed and sleep with them through the night. When you get up, you will get hair with waves and more body.
Color to add Volume
Even tones in the hairdo do not provide an illusion of volume, so to achieve that effect and obtain a more abundant looking mane, we advise you to apply some color to your base. You can opt for highlights or veils, or make an ombré combining dark and light tones.
Eating a healthy diet also influences the growth and appearance of fine and brittle hair. Having a vitamin deficiency can be reflected in the hair, as the scalp can present problems of dehydration, loss or lack of volume, for example.
We advise you to include foods rich in minerals, vitamins, fatty acids, and amino acids in your diet. Some foods that contain these nutrients are nuts, salmon, red fruits, green leafy vegetables, or legumes.
Finishing products can be your best allies when adding more body to low-density hair or short hair.
- Volume spray: spray the product on damp or wet hair. Next, blow-dry the hair upside down and finish by applying cold air to set the product.
- Foam: apply the product to wet hair, previously removing excess moisture—diffuse dry by gently massaging the roots.
- Wave Spray: spray the product from medium to ends and dry with a diffuser or with the dryer on medium power, marking the waves with your hands.
Doing a good hair wash is the best start if you want to add volume to your hair. If you want to know how to do a wash that helps give body to your hair, follow these simple steps:
- Detangle hair before washing. It is recommended that you use a wide-toothed comb.
- Before wetting the hair, avoid stimulating blood flow, massage gently with your fingertips, and using circular motions to activate circulation.
- You can then rinse the hair and proceed to the regular wash.
Texturizing powders are a styling product used to add density and volume to fine and sparse hair. These are keratin fibers that adhere to the hair and provide a visual sensation of more plump hair.
- Apply a small amount to the roots. We advise you to pour it slowly, tilting the pot and shaking it like a salt shaker.
- Massage with your fingertips to blend the fibers with the rest of the hair.
- Repeat the operation if necessary.
- Apply a little fixing spray or hairspray to set the product so that the dust does not come off.
Hairstyles with Volume
The hairstyle is always a good ally when it comes to achieving different effects on the hair. In hair with low density, we recommend toupees, soft carding in the upper area, or making broken waves bypassing the iron only in the middle and ends area to provide movement to the hair.
On the other hand, you should avoid polished updos, tight ponytails, or any hairstyle that flattens the hair against the skull.
Hair with Rollers
Although it is difficult for you to see yourself with curlers, it is one of the most effective hairdressing accessories to achieve hollowing out the roots and show off voluminous hair. You have two options:
- Hot rollers: these are rollers heated before placing them, then the hair is rolled with them and left on until they cool.
- Traditional rollers: these are those that you will have to roll on wet hair or previously moistened with a spray. These rollers must be left on the head until the hair is completely dry.
Waves with Volume
It is common to think that if you have fine hair or with little volume, you cannot use the iron to create waves. That is not the case at all. Applying heat with a styler in the root area can indeed affect what is sought, but there is a way to get waves and not lose body in the hair. Follow these steps to achieve it:
- Blow-dry hair by massaging the root zone to achieve volume.
- With dry hair, use the iron or curling iron to create waves, but only sliding from the middle to the ends, without getting close to the roots.
- When you have marked all the hair, wait for the hair to cool.
- On relaxed hair, turn your head upside down and shake your hair to break up the waves for a fuller hairstyle.
- As a final touch, apply a little hairspray over the waves.
Homemade Egg Mask
And if you are one of those who prefer home remedies, you will love trying this natural mask with egg. The egg contains proteins and vitamins that are very beneficial for the hair, giving it more body, strength, and shine. If you want to make your own, follow these steps:
- Beat an egg and apply it to previously moistened hair.
- Let it act for 15 minutes.
- After the exposure time, rinse with warm or cold water.
In addition to all these tips, there are also hairdressing treatments that serve to identify the fiber and add volume to fine hair. The best known are hair botox treatment and keratin.
In the hair application, the botox is not injected but is applied directly on the hair fiber, redensifying it. The keratin treatment works by sealing and repairing the hair cuticle, giving the hair a more healthy and full-bodied appearance.
Adapted and translated by The Cop Cart Staff