You can learn to cook well without taking a culinary course. One need just be aware of a few of the secrets and features of the cooking process. Be mindful of the ingredients, don’t overlook the spices, and not be afraid to experiment; then, you can be the next Chef Gordon. Here is more.
Learn new techniques
To learn how to cook, you need to practice a few basic cooking techniques. Almost everyone knows how to fry, boil, and stew. Now try cooking something with these methods.
- Steer-fry. Very fast roast. You need to pour quite a bit of oil, distribute it over the pan, wait for it to heat up, and throw the prepared food into it. Stir-fry involves constant stirring. Sometimes you can add special sauces (it is easy to find such a sauce – the package will indicate that this is a stir-fry sauce).
- Baking. The perfect way to cook vegetables. It does not require any skills; you need to put the vegetables in a frying pan or on a baking sheet, add salt, sprinkle with your favorite herbs and spices, pour with oil, and put in a preheated oven. The difficulty lies only in removing the baking sheet in time.
Also read: 13 Common Culinary Mistakes To Avoid
- Caramelization. Something in between roasting and languishing. A lengthy process helps pull the sugar out of foods (like onions or carrots) and turn it into caramel. The finished product has a sweetish taste, dark color, and a strong aroma. What is this technique for? It helps you make ordinary foods taste better or use them to create unusual dishes. For example, caramelized onions can be used as an ingredient in steak sauce, pie filling, or famous French soup.
Study the ingredients
Why is cooking so cool? Because it is enjoyable and interesting. Amuse yourself – try to find five alternative ways to cook chicken with vegetables. It turns out that you can make pasta, make a stew, bake everything together, boil a soup, or fry in thin slices in an Asian manner.
Learn a few win-win combinations too. It will be challenging to create a bland dish using them.
- Fish and lemon. A combination that can be used for frying, baking, and any other way of cooking fish.
- Tomatoes, garlic, paprika, cheese. The first three ingredients are ideal for soups, sauces, stews, and baking. Obviously, the pasta or pizza from the first three ingredients is perfectly complemented by cheese.
- Eggs and bacon, vegetables, and bacon. The fact is that bacon itself is a product of little interest. But it has a characteristic bright taste. Combine it with scrambled eggs for the perfect balance. The same goes for vegetables. Bacon gives them a smoky flavor, makes them tastier and richer.
- Melon and ham. A salad with slices of sweet and aromatic melon and slices of delicious ham can’t be bad. You can also add ripe figs.
- Poultry and fruits (chicken and orange, duck, and apples). It is not necessary to cover the meat with fruit on all sides, imitating a cornucopia. Get creative; add orange zest to the marinade; Make applesauce for the bird. Do not be afraid. It will turn out to be uniquely tasty.
Learn to use spices
It is not enough to understand only the ingredients. You also need to research spices. We have selected several classics, time-tested combinations that will definitely brighten your dish. But you should definitely not stop there and try to combine new spices.
- Black pepper, garlic, rosemary.
- Black pepper, garlic, dill, horseradish, celery.
- Black pepper, red pepper, garlic, dill, parsley, horseradish.
For meat dishes
- Anise, coriander, dill, nutmeg, white pepper, paprika.
- Fennel, celery, cardamom, onion, white pepper.
- Allspice, black pepper, cloves, ginger, onion.
- Marjoram, mint, rosemary, sage, savory, thyme.
- Celery, marjoram, parsley, savory, basil.
- All kinds of Garni bouquets: French, German, English.
And one more tip; examine the ingredients in the pre-made spice sets and come up with some fascinating combinations for yourself. And then put together such a combination yourself to be sure of the quality of the herbal mixture.
Learn to use lemon
If you are afraid of making the dish too sour, start with dishes that cannot be spoiled by lemon. Cook the fish first. Then, before baking, add lemon juice to vegetables (such as broccoli). Lemon is also put in a hodgepodge. It blends flawlessly with the flavor of this rich soup. This fruit can almost always be used, you only need to be careful. If you remove the lemon’s zest, do not hook the white part under the skin – it tastes bitter.
Not liking cheese is practically a crime. There are so many different flavors that you just need to find yours. It may be used as the primary ingredient or as a spice. In general, cheese is difficult to do without.
Also read: Tips for Cooking and Eating Out Peacefully
Salt with soy sauce
Be sure to try cooking with soy sauce. If you like Asian dishes, it will be just great.
First, soy sauce perfectly enhances the flavor of vegetables, meat, and fish.
Secondly, if you love soy sauce, you can prepare the ingredients ahead of time, and then in a matter of minutes, make wonderful rice with vegetables and seafood, ramen, udon with broth, and so on. Soy sauce will combine the ingredients into one delicious meal.
If you love and know how to cook with soy sauce, try cooking something with miso paste as well.
Adapted and translated by The Cop Cart Staff
Sources: Life hacker