There are multiple ways to roast coffee by hand. To do this, you can use ovens, microwaves, popcorn holders, unique toasters, among other appliances that will provide different results. For this reason, in this article, you will learn step by step how to roast coffee at home and the types of roasting you can choose for your beans.
Types of Coffee Roasting
There is more than one way to roast coffee. Depending on how toasted we make them, the beans will show a different color and flavor. The types of coffee roasting are used to prepare different versions of this drink and, in turn, serve to highlight the particular characteristics of each bean.
Read also: How to Clean a Keurig Coffee Maker
- Light roast or cinnamon: as its name indicates, at this level of roasting, the coffee bean has a light cinnamon color. This roast can be obtained after roasting the beans for a few minutes. In these cases, the grain is characterized by acidic, fruity taste, and high caffeine content.
- American roast: this bean has a caramel flavor, and its color is brown.
- Italian roasting: to reach this type of roast, it is necessary to leave the bean much longer than usual to achieve a very dark coloration. Gourmet coffee is made with this type of beans, whose caffeine content is shallow.
- French roast: The coffee prepared with this bean has a smoky flavor and an intense aroma. This should also be allowed to roast for a long time to achieve a dark color.
No one type of roast is better than the other. Less roasted beans will have more acidic and fruity flavors, while darker beans will bring out their chocolatey and smoky flavors. You can try different roast levels to choose the one you like best.
How to Roast Coffee in the Oven
If you do not have a coffee bean roaster at home, you can use other tools in your kitchen to roast them. For example, roasting coffee beans in the oven is a somewhat irregular procedure, since very little air circulates, but, believe it or not, the lack of this resource increases the quality of its flavor. If you want to know how to roast coffee in the oven, follow these steps.
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. Set up a multi-slot tray so the beans can stay in place.
- Arrange the grains along the length of the tray, covering it all. Once the oven is hot, you can insert the tray so that they begin to toast. This procedure will last 15 to 20 minutes.
- Make sure to stir them every 2-3 minutes so that they toast evenly.
- During this time, you should hear popping noises. This means that the water contained in the grains has evaporated. When you observe them, you will notice that they have acquired a dark coloration.
- Remove the coffee beans. To cool them faster, place them in a metal strainer and stir them little by little.
How to Microwave Coffee
Another way to roast coffee is by using a microwave. In this sense, the appliance must be of high power and have good agitation. If you want to know how to microwave coffee, keep the following in mind successfully:
- Place the coffee beans in a glass container, as this will absorb the heat in the best way for the beans.
- If possible, we recommend stirring the beans to ensure that the heat is spread evenly, and the coffee is roasted as evenly as possible.
- For 50 g of coffee, you can use a roasting time equivalent to 120 seconds.
- It should be noted that the greater the number of beans to roast, the greater the success of the procedure, since less energy would be used.
It is essential to keep in mind that microwave coffee roasting is one of the least effective options for roasting coffee at home. If the heat is not distributed correctly, the coffee will not be well done. For that reason, we recommend another device: a popcorn box. The popcorn maker or popcorn machine is an excellent option for toasting, as you will only have to follow the steps below:
- Put the popcorn holder to heat over moderate heat. Ideally, it should reach a temperature of 250ºC. If you have a kitchen thermometer, you can use it to check the temperature.
- Put the coffee beans in the popcorn machine. Do not put more than its capacity; generally, they are only 227 g.
- Close it and turn the crank so the machine can be operated. They will need to be stirred by hand to ensure they toast evenly.
- Toast them for 4-7 minutes. When you hear the beans ring, you know they are roasting. Also, you will begin to feel how the beans give off the characteristic smell of coffee.
- When you see smoke, check the color of the coffee beans. Take them out and place them in a metal strainer to let them rest.
How to Roast Coffee with Sugar
With the procedure you want to go through, you can add a little sugar to the coffee beans if you want a sweeter cup of coffee. Note that you can also get coffee beans grown with a method called the honey process. These coffee beans are more sugary and fruity, so that they will guarantee you a cup of coffee with sweeter flavors.
- If you want to roast coffee beans with sugar, follow these steps:
- Place all the green coffee beans in a pan with sugar to taste and high heat.
- Stir the grains so that they are compacted with the sugar particles.
- Take them out when they have acquired the coloration you prefer.
Roasting coffee is a traditional process that we must do with care and dedication. If you are a coffee lover, we assure you that preparing a cup of coffee with roasted beans at home will be a very satisfying and pleasant experience.
Also read: How to Make Coffee Without a Coffee Maker
To be successful with your first roast, follow these tips for roasting coffee at home.
- To prevent any problems with smoke, it is necessary to carry out this procedure in a place with plenty of ventilation. It is not recommended to do it near a detector, because it can be activated quickly.
- Let the beans rest for 24 hours before using them to prepare your coffee.
Adapted and translated by The Cop Cart Staff