However, if we cannot count on this device, for whatever reason, there are other methods to prepare a good coffee, which are equally effective and which maintain the essential and roasted flavor of this hot drink. In this practical article, we tell you how to make coffee without a coffee maker.
Stew or Squid Coffee
This drink is one of the best-known recipes in all of Spain, Brazil, and Portugal. You must have a coarse ground coffee, which is macerated after a long time in hot water in a pot. With the use of a sleeve or by decanting, the stewed or squid coffee can be served in a cup for those who want to try it.
Read also: How to Clean an Italian Coffee Maker
- Freshly ground coffee.
Steps to Make Pot or Squid Coffee
- Pour the water into the squid or saucepan and bring it to a boil.
- Once bubbles start to come out, which means that it has reached the boiling point, you have to pour the ground coffee into the water and stir it.
- Let it steep for several minutes, depending on how strong you want the coffee, between 5 and 10 minutes.
- Take the cloth or sleeve to strain it. It is done!
When served to the table, there will be a strong smell of roasted coffee. This is because, by letting the coffee rest with the boiling water for a long time, its flavor and aroma will be more concentrated. The experience is quite different from having a coffee made with a coffee maker. In addition, freshly ground coffee preserves the freshness of the bean.
Coffee in a Filter
Using the filter is one of the most conventional methods of preparing coffee. The resulting flavor is a bit milder than other methods, but it is equally effective in the coffee flavor. You can follow these instructions to prepare coffee in a filter :
- Ground coffee
How to Brew Coffee in a Filter – Steps
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Pour the coffee grounds into the filter.
- Tie the filter tightly with string inside the mug or jug.
- Once the water has boiled, pour it into the mug.
- Wait for both substances to begin to mix inside the filter. Ready!
This procedure is similar to making an infusion, aromatic herbs, or a tea, by leaving the filter inside the cup. The secret of its taste and aroma depends on how long the filter is left there. The longer it lasts, the more concentrated its flavor becomes. Depending on the taste of the person, you can add sugar, milk, cream, or cinnamon.
Coffee with a Strainer
This is another alternative method for those who do not have a coffee maker at home. It requires the use of a fine strainer so that it can hold the coffee grounds after it has been mixed in the hot water. There are many people who like this method because of the coffee result and its taste. Here we tell you how to make coffee without a coffee maker using a strainer :
- Ground coffee
Steps to Make Coffee with a Strainer
- Pour the water into a pot or kettle to boil it for a few minutes.
- Once it boils, pour the water into a mug and mix it with the coffee.
- Let the coffee rest for a few minutes in the cup.
- Using the strainer and another cup, pour in the liquid and run the fluff through the strainer. Now you can dump the grounds and have your delicious coffee.
Care must be taken with the strainer, as the residue could fall into the cup. It is also important to know that the longer the coffee is steeped, the greater the concentration of flavor and aroma.
French Press Coffee
The French press method is a classic in many kitchens around the world, including those in restaurants. Its origins date back to France, where an alternate method of preparing infusions was invented. Also, something that I love about this style is that, with this device, you can see the complete coffee preparation procedure, since the cup is transparent. Follow these steps to make coffee with the French press.
- Ground coffee
Making French Press Coffee
- The first thing is to have freshly boiled water in a saucepan.
- Add the ground coffee into the press and add the freshly boiled water.
- Put the filter in the press
- Let the coffee sit for a few minutes.
- When you’re done, lower the plunger to drain the coffee and separate it from the grounds.
- You can now pour the coffee into the cup and enjoy it.
This method favors a high concentration of coffee, which gives it a strong and unique flavor. For a reason, it is one of the preferred methods used in cafes and restaurants. Thus, you can choose to add milk, cream, sugar, or cinnamon, but many people choose to take it only for this reason.
Instant coffee is another great option. It is another practical method that saves us time and effort. The difference between this type of coffee and ground coffee is the taste. The freshness of the ground with this type of coffee will not really show. If you want to make a quick coffee, try this instant coffee method.
Also read: How to Clean White Gold Jewelry
- Instant coffee.
- Boiled water.
How to Make Instant Coffee: Step by Step
- Bring the water to a boil and when it’s ready, pour it into a cup.
- Add the amount of instant coffee you want, depending on how concentrated you want it.
- Mix with a spoon before the water cools so it can dissolve well.
- You can add sugar, stevia, milk, vegetable drink, cinnamon, cocoa powder, and so on. To your liking!
Adapted and translated by The Cop Cart Staff