Vinegar, Unpleasant Smell for Mosquitoes
Due to its acidic nature, vinegar is a product that is effective in combating and eliminating bacteria, fungi, and other microorganisms. It is also very effective in driving away insects, such as mosquitoes or flies, and disinfecting the area once they have disappeared.
Vinegar has a very intense and penetrating odor that is very unpleasant for mosquitoes, so these insects when they notice its aroma, will not approach and stay well away. In this way, with the help of vinegar, you can keep your home or the spaces that interest you out of the reach of mosquitoes.
Read also: How to Use Lemon to Repel Mosquitos
Ways to Repel Mosquitoes with Vinegar
There are several ways you can use to scare off mosquitoes with vinegar and get these insects to move away from different spaces in your home. Next, we are going to show you which are the methods that can offer you the best results, so pay attention:
Glass with Vinegar
This method is very simple and consists of filling a glass with white vinegar and placing it on a surface, be it a table or a piece of furniture, in the area that you want to keep safe from the invasion of mosquitoes. The smell that the vinegar will give off will be very strong and annoying for these insects and they will not go near that area. If you place it next to the windows, it can also be a good way to prevent them from entering the rooms of the house.
Vinegar and Citronella Repellent
You can also prepare a homemade repellent for mosquitoes by combining vinegar with citronella, another of the best natural products that exist to scare away these small flying insects since its intense citrus fragrance is unbearable.
You will only have to dilute about 10 drops of citronella oil in 30 ml of olive oil and add 1 tablespoon of vinegar to the mixture. Place the bottle with the mixture in the places that interest you or use it by means of a spray bottle in the room.
Vinegar and Eucalyptus Oil Repellent
Another homemade mosquito repellent that you can prepare with vinegar, is the one that also includes the essential oil of eucalyptus, which also gives off an odor that these insects do not like.
To prepare it, you have to mix 1/3 cup of vinegar with 1/3 cup of alcohol and about 10 drops of eucalyptus essential oil. Reserve the mixture in a spray bottle and use it to repel mosquitoes from the interior or exterior spaces of your home.
Vinegar Mosquito Trap
On the other hand, you can also repel mosquitoes with vinegar or rather eliminate them completely using a homemade trap. In this case, you should use apple cider vinegar, as the sweet aroma of this product is attractive to these insects and will help you catch them to get rid of them. Take note of the step by step you must follow to make this bottle trap mosquitoes with vinegar
Also read: Learn How to Fall Asleep Fast and Deep
- Pour some apple cider vinegar into a bottle.
- Make a funnel out of a piece of paper and place it in the mouth of the bottle.
- Place the bottle in the area of your home that you want to keep away from mosquitoes.
- Mosquitoes will be attracted to the aroma of apple cider vinegar and will enter the bottle through the funnel, thus being eventually trapped.
If you don’t have a bottle, you can also do it with a slightly tall glass, the method will work anyway.
Other Home Remedies to Ward off Mosquitoes
In addition to vinegar, there are other home remedies for mosquitoes at home that can be practiced easily to avoid the annoying bites of these insects:
- Lavender repellent: add 100 ml of lavender essential oil to a skin moisturizer and use the ointment as a mosquito repellent.
- Lemon with cloves: put some cloves in the middle of a lemon and place it in different points of the house, such as next to the windows to prevent the entry of mosquitoes.
- Lemon or orange leaves: boil a few lemon or orange leaves and then put them in an uncovered container. Place the container at the point of the home that you want to protect.
- Mosquito repellent plants: there are many plants that can be placed in the garden, terrace, windows, etc., to drive away and eliminate mosquitoes from the house, since they act as powerful repellants of these insects. Among them, citronella, eucalyptus, basil, catmint, calendula, and lavender stand out.
Adapted and translated by The Cop Cart Staff