Sweating, apart from creating sweat stains on clothes, gives off a bad smell that can remain impregnated in our garments even after washing them. Many times this is due to hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating), but it can also occur in athletes or people who do not use deodorants that are effective enough.
It can be difficult to get rid of bad odors, so in this article, we will tell you how to remove the smell of sweat from clothes through all the tips, tricks below.
Products to Remove the Smell of Sweat from Clothes
If you have clothes that have absorbed a lot of sweat, the most important thing is to act immediately and wash them as soon as possible. In this way, you will prevent the smell from permeating and the yellow stains that usually remain on clothes permanently due to sweat from appearing.
If you’ve been able to tackle the problem quickly, chances are you just need detergent and fabric softener to get rid of the smell. However, if that is not the case, here is a list of products to eliminate the smell of sweat from clothes that you can try as soon as possible:
- Sodium bicarbonate
Next, we will tell you in detail how to use each of these home remedies to eliminate the smell of sweat from clothes.
Read also: 5 Recipes to Exfoliate Your Skin With Baking Soda
Baking soda is a famous cleaner par excellence. It is one of the most widely used homemade products at home thanks to its effectiveness. Likewise, this compound can also be used to remove stains and remove bad odors from clothing. To test it, you just have to:
- Mix a tablespoon of baking soda with a glass of water.
- Wait until paste forms and apply it to the garment on the areas affected by the bad smell.
- Let it act overnight.
This is an excellent method if you are looking to remove the smell of sweat from clean clothing. Baking soda does not require us to wash the garment to act, so it can help us in emergencies where we do not have the time or resources to do laundry.
Another way you can use this home remedy is by adding a tablespoon of baking soda mixed with hydrogen peroxide to the washing machine at the time of washing. Its properties will act together with the detergent and will increase its effectiveness in removing stains and eliminating bad odors.
Due to its level of acidity, vinegar is an excellent cleaning product, in addition to having a powerful action against bad odors. To use its deodorizing effects, you just have to follow these steps:
- Mix, in equal parts, water, and white wine vinegar.
- With a spray bottle, apply the mixture to the areas most affected by the bad smell.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes and wash the garment.
If you don’t have vinegar at home, you can use lemon, another excellent alternative to get rid of the bad smell. Its effects are very similar to that of vinegar and it is very easy to use, you just have to keep the following in mind
Also read: How to Use Lemon to Repel Mosquitos
- Mix, in equal parts, water, and lemon juice.
- With the help of a cloth or sponge, apply the mixture to the areas affected by the bad smell.
- Let it act and wash the garment very well. Otherwise, the lemon could alter the consistency of the fabric.
Although it may seem unusual, aspirin may also help you get rid of bad smells from clothes. If you dissolve it in water, the mixture is a stain remover that will also get rid of the smell of sweat. To use them, keep these steps in mind:
- Mix about four normal or effervescent aspirins in a 100 ml glass of water.
- Apply the mixture to your clothes and leave it to work for 3-4 hours.
- Wash the clothes.
If you do not have any of the ingredients or products mentioned above, you can go to the salt to forget about bad smells. Using it is very simple, follow these steps:
- Dissolve several tablespoons of salt in a large bowl of warm water.
- Soak the garment in the mixture
- Wash it off immediately afterward.
If the clothes you are trying to wash are white, do not forget to use bleach to eliminate bad odors. Let them soak for several hours in a mixture with bleach and take them directly to the washing machine. You can also add a portion of bleach to the wash. Do not use bleach with clothes that you think might stain.
No matter what method you use, sunlight is one of the best allies to combat the smell of sweat and other types of bad odors. When you have clean clothes, avoid drying them in the dryer, as the heat and the enclosed space can fix bad odors in the clothes. Instead, let the clothes dry in the fresh air and, if possible, put them in a place where the sun hits them.
How to Avoid the Smell of Sweat in Clothes
If you don’t want to worry about smelly clothes ever again, the best solution is to prevent your clothes from getting the smell in the first place. There are many measures you can take to avoid this, find out below
- If you tend to sweat excessively, don’t wear the same garment more than twice.
- If your clothes are very sweaty, wash them right away. Do not leave it in the laundry basket because it can lead to the proliferation of bacteria and the rest of your clothes can be impregnated with the smell. If you have to wait, put it aside in a separate bag.
- Leave the lid of the washing machine open after washing so that it airs out and bad odors do not concentrate on it.
- Use deodorants with antiperspirants that are super effective.
- Use fabric softener every time you wash your clothes.
- Wash clothes at high temperatures as long as the fabric allows and resists.
- Hang your clothes outside right after the wash cycle is over and allow them to dry thoroughly before putting them away.
Adapted and translated by The Cop Cart Staff