Why the Immune System is Weakened
The body's defense mechanism, the immune system, is triggered to stop attacks from bacteria, viruses, fungi, or other pathogenic organisms. Our first line of defense is our skin, but there are some more, such as white blood cells and immunoglobulins. Any immune system imbalance can directly impact the performance and functioning of our body and health. Therefore, it is necessary to keep it healthy and take the required measures so that the defenses do not weaken.
Read also: How to Lower a Fever Naturally
Although we have sophisticated defense methods, certain factors can affect and weaken our immune system. These are the primary causes of the immune system's deterioration.
- Inadequate nutrition: it is the basis of health. The deficit of proteins, vitamins, or minerals, and the excess of carbohydrates directly affect the functioning of the immune system.
- Low activity: sedentary lifestyle is directly related to diseases such as diabetes or being overweight, which has a very negative impact on immunology. Lack of movement or no moderate physical activity, at least twice a week, is a quick way to weaken your defenses.
- A bad rest: not sleeping the recommended hours (between 7 and 8 a day) and not having optimal rest and good sleep hygiene causes the defenses of the immune system to lower their guard and not be as effective against the attack of diseases.
- Stress: although it is a natural response that favors the release of adrenaline, an overload of tension can transform into more severe pathologies such as anxiety, depression, or even thrombosis. Maintaining stressful situations for a long time can affect the depression of the immune system and weaken it.
Foods to Raise the Defenses
Diet is the basis for maintaining a strong and healthy immune system. For this reason, it is essential to incorporate foods that provide us with the necessary nutrients to strengthen the immune system and that favor the body's defense cells more efficiently. These are some of the best foods to boost your defenses.
- Products with Omega 3: tuna, salmon, sardines, walnuts, chia seeds, and flaxseed.
- Foods rich in vitamin C: orange, tangerine, lemon, pineapple, mango, melon, watermelon, strawberries, kiwi, tomato, broccoli, cabbage, etc.
- Foods with vitamin A: carrot, spinach, chard, beet, or egg.
- Foods rich in vitamin E: olive and sunflower oil and nuts such as hazelnuts, peanuts, pistachios, or almonds.
- Products that contain zinc: chicken, turkey, red beef, oysters, wheat germ and whole grains, pumpkin seeds, and fish.
- Foods with selenium: rice, chicken, cheese, wheat flour, sunflower seeds, etc.
- Natural probiotics: natural yogurt and kefir.
Along with including these foods in your diet, it is essential to avoid processed foods, refined sugars, alcohols, and caffeine, as they are very bad for the body and weaken it.
Vitamins to Raise the Defenses
Keeping the body with adequate levels of vitamins is essential to strengthening the immune system naturally. But what are the vitamins most necessary to keep the immune system strong?
Also read: How to Use Mallow for Hemorrhoids
- Vitamin C: it is the most essential, as it directly helps the proper functioning of the immune system. The star fruit where you can find this vitamin is in the orange; however, you can also consume it through food supplements.
- Vitamin B3: This vitamin is water-soluble; that is, it dissolves in water, so an excellent property can be lost if you cook food that contains them. Therefore, taking it through food supplements will allow the mucous membranes to be in normal conditions, one of the main functions of type B vitamins.
- Vitamin D: this type of vitamin helps to absorb calcium since it is fat-soluble. Together with phosphorus, it allows us to maintain healthy bones, a great defense of our immune system. Vitamin D is produced in the body through sunlight, although you will also find it in small doses in some foods and as a supplement.
Taking care of your body, leading a healthy life, and avoiding, as far as possible, everything that is harmful to your body will allow you to maintain a strong immune system with high defenses and ready to fight everything.