An extra degree of temperature is worth 6 percent of the gas consumption in the bill. To avoid the dispersion of the fixtures, a draft excluder is also sufficient. Nothing above the radiators
First of all, reducing gas consumption by avoiding unnecessary waste is much easier than to say. Basically, it is a combination of technical aspects (from the type of boiler to the use of thermostatic valves) and small precautions (from checking the fixtures to making the air change). But before going into the merits of the individual tips, let’s see how much gas costs us and how much we can save if we can use it effectively.
The use of gas for heating is by far the main responsible for the consumption of a home: it is, therefore, important to reduce waste, moderate the internal temperature and boost your home’s thermal insulation. The Italian gas bill is one of the most expensive in Europe and significantly affects the family budget. To lower gas spending, Italian families can pay less for the cubic meter of gas and reduce its consumption, which varies significantly from North to South.
The Average Consumption of Gas
A northern household consumes up to 6 times more gas than a southern household. The colder climate leads to greater heating, responsible for more than 80% of a home’s methane consumption in the northern regions. L ‘ Emilia Romagna is the region with the highest domestic gas consumption, with more than 1,000 cubic meters of gas per person per year. In Sicily and Calabria, consumption stops at about 150 cubic meters each.
Read also: Tips on How to do a Basic Car Overhaul.
To understand how to save on your gas bill, it is useful to know how much you are actually paying for each cubic meter consumed. From here, you can start to measure your home’s energy efficiency, in terms of gas consumption, and what savings you still have.
First of all, by eliminating unnecessary waste. Another premise is the choice of the operator: by now, there is a vast competition, as in the case of telephony, and therefore you have the possibility to make comparisons and also to measure, on the occasion of the proposal you receive, your real consumption.
How to Pay Less for Gas
You can find help on the many online sites that compare rates and the various commercial offers. Attention only to two things. Do not have too many illusions about the difference in real costs for gas consumption. The offers are more or less the same, also because the tax part of the bill is very high and the same for everyone.
Remember that the sites carry out a commercial activity, whether controlled by one of the managers or self-employed. Therefore the proposals that come from this channel are not completely disinterested.
The conclusion is that to really save, and not a little, on the gas bill, you need to have strong and clear ideas in mind on the technological and energy innovation interventions to be done, on the waste to be eliminated, and on small precautions, which however have an enormous value in terms of results.
Tricks to Consume Less Gas
Going in order, let’s begin with the first: energy redevelopment and innovation interventions, especially in the case of house renovations that must be combined, is an opportunity to be seized, to make the most of what technology makes available. . Costs permitting.
- The most effective and efficient system is certainly that of the condensing boiler, which is worth an estimated saving in gas consumption of around 30 percent. Even better if it is combined with radiant panels.
- Heat pumps and solar thermal can also be considered.
- Instead, thermostatic valves on radiators are indispensable. For an obvious reason: they allow you to regulate the gas to use and avoid widespread waste linked to excessive heat and overtime.
- The boiler maintenance should not be made only to enforce the law and for safety reasons, obvious things, and the simple reason that a malfunctioning system consumes more gas as it wastes it. And you pay the bill.
Speaking of waste, here are the heaviest ones on the bill and easier to eliminate:
- The main source of gas consumption in the home is the individual or condominium heating system. Well: it is not necessary to get to a tropical temperature to stay warm in the house. During the day, the temperature can fluctuate between 19 and 20 degrees and even drop to 18 degrees during the night. Remember that just 1 degree higher than the temperature inside your home is worth about 6 percent of your gas consumption.
- Check the fixtures. They could be old or inefficient and thus disperse heat and multiply gas consumption. In this case, you have two options. The first: change them. If you choose this path, you aim for quality and long-term investment, even if more expensive at the time of purchase. In any case, there are good financing possibilities to change the fixtures. The second solution, a small gesture in the name of Do not waste, uses draft excluders. Try it, and then see the result.
- Another source of waste that is easy to reduce is the widespread use of the radiator. Never put anything on it: this way, heat, and gas are dispersed. Use insulation sheets to prevent heat dispersion from the walls to the outside.
Saving of the Gas Bill
We conclude the advice with some small but decisive measures. Valuable in the fight against waste and in favor of savings.
- The radiators located in the house rooms that you do not frequent can also remain off if not on rare occasions.
- The air exchange is a fundamental operation for the hygiene of the house and your health. But do it wisely during the winter, when the gas turns to heat the apartment. That is: early in the morning and when the radiators are off. Otherwise, you accumulate dispersions, waste, and costs.
- Do not underestimate the waste that you accumulate with the improper consumption of hot water. We are used to consuming it at full throttle, but it costs money. And consumption can be enormously reduced even by purchasing a simple flow reducer. You buy it from a hardware store, for a few euros. Euros, which, however, are worth a maxi premium in your bill.
Also read: How to Take Care of Your Car in Summer
From systems and heating to the kitchen, another source of large gas consumption. We talk about it in detail in another article on our site. Here we mention only three trivial things worthless waste and more savings in the stove’s perimeter.
- Place the pans on plates of an appropriate size for their diameter.
- Cover them with the lid while you cook
- To use the residual heat, switch off the plate before the end of cooking.
Finally, an indication for particularly disadvantaged families. A social bonus is provided for them through the Authority for Electricity, Gas, and the Water System. Two types of families can access it—those with an ISEE income of up to € 7,500. And the numerous ones, with at least three children, with an ISEE income of up to 20,000 euros.
Adapted and translated by The Cop Cart Staff
Sources: Non Sprecare