Headaches can appear for various reasons and come with dehydration, irritation, and flaking of the scalp; That is why knowing the reasons that make the head itch appear is essential to treat it correctly.
In this article, we tell you how to relieve an itchy scalp depending on the causes. Also, we give you some home remedies made with simple and natural ingredients to relieve symptoms. Take note of these home remedies for an itchy head!
Causes of an Itchy Scalp
Although it is associated with dandruff, an itchy head can come for different reasons. Before treating a burning or itching problem on the scalp, it is advisable to determine its cause to apply the most effective remedy to eliminate itching. These are some of the most common reasons.
- Existence of some eczema
- Itching or irritation caused by periods of stress
- Allergic reaction to a cosmetic product
- Dehydration of the scalp
- Poorly lightened hair during washing
Egg Yolk for Hair
If the itchy head is due to dryness or dehydration of the scalp, the most recommended natural remedy to rehydrate and nourish the area is egg yolk.
Read also: How to Grow Hair Fast
An irritated scalp can present symptoms such as itchy head and pimples in localized areas. The egg can soothe and prevent itching in the place, as it is a food rich in vitamins, minerals, and fatty acids. If you want to feel relief and stop scratching, you can mix a little of your usual shampoo with an egg yolk and wash your hair with this mixture. If you want to use this remedy as to a mask, you should do it in the following way:
- Beat one or two yolks (depending on the amount or the length of your hair) and reserve them in a small bowl.
- Wash your hair with the usual shampoo.
- Drain the hair to remove moisture and apply the mixture with the yolks to the scalp.
- Leave on for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse with plenty of warm water.
Tea Tree Oil and Coconut Oil Mask
If you have a skin infection or your itchy head is caused by eczema, these two ingredients can help. These two oils have antibacterial and antimicrobial properties capable of eliminating fungi and bacteria caused by skin problems. You should bear in mind that if you have a wound from scratching too much, the tea tree oil can irritate that area.
This is what you will need to make this mask:
- 7 drops of tea tree oil
- 45 ml of coconut oil (3 tablespoons)
Ideally, apply this mask at night and let it act while you sleep; If you prefer, you can use it in the morning and leave it to work all day. This is how to prepare the mask.
- Mix the tea tree essential oil with the 3 tablespoons of coconut oil in a bowl.
- Spread the mixture over your scalp.
- Cover yourself with a shower cap and leave it on overnight.
- The next day, wash your hair as you usually would.
Calendula Infusion for Hair
This medicinal plant, in addition to calming itching, is one of the most effective remedies to control stress headaches. Calendula has anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and antibacterial properties and a remarkable ability to maintain hydration of the skin, even the most sensitive ones.
Calendula infusion is applied as a leave-in conditioner as follows:
- Prepare the calendula infusion.
- Wash your hair as you usually do and lighten it.
- Drain the hair to remove excess moisture and apply the infusion liquid all over the hair.
- Comb to detangle and extend the product.
- Do not rinse; let the product dry.
Lemon for Dandruff
One of the most common causes of the itchy head is dandruff, flaking the superficial layer of the scalp produced by an excess of dead cells.
Lemon, due to its contribution of vitamin C and its antifungal properties, helps fight dandruff by regulating the production of sebum and preventing the appearance of fungi and bacteria. This is how you should apply it to combat dandruff head itch.
- Squeeze the juice of one or two lemons (depending on the length or amount of hair).
- Moisten the hair and apply the lemon juice all over the hair.
- Massage your fingertips into the scalp for a few minutes.
- Comb the hair to make sure the product reaches all areas.
- Leave an exposure time of 5 minutes.
- Wash your hair with your regular shampoo and warm or cold water.
Peppermint essential oil for hair
Peppermint oil is the best ally when itching is caused by excess oil on the scalp. Seborrhea can cause, in addition to itching, flaking, inflammation, and even hair loss due to clogged pores by sebum.
If you want to soothe the itch, regulate the production of sebum, and activate the circulation of your scalp, you have to perform the following mixture.
- Pour 100 ml of your regular shampoo into a measuring cup.
- Add 5 drops of peppermint essential oil.
- Shake vigorously to integrate both products.
- Wash your head with this shampoo, and you will notice the freshness and relief from the first wash.
It is advisable to follow these instructions since if you add more peppermint oil than indicated, you can achieve the opposite effect and further irritate the scalp due to mint.
Adapted and translated by The Cop Cart Staff