Most of today’s smartphones do not arrive subsidized or tied to mobile phone operators as they did years ago. This is because most people prefer to have free mobile phone and negotiate the conditions with the operator that best suits their needs, without the obligation to remain tied to one company or another.
Do you have a mobile, and you don’t know if it is released? What exactly is the difference between a free mobile and one that is not? Here is an easy step by step guide that you can follow if you wonder how to know if my mobile is free. Let’s go there!
What Does it Mean that a Mobile is Free?
What do we actually mean when we ask ourselves how to know if mobile is free or liberated? Basically, if your mobile is free or unlocked, it will not be tied to any telephone company and, therefore, you will be able to hire the services of the one that suits you best.
Read also: How to Unlock my Mobile Phone.
If you buy a mobile phone from a specific company, you can only use the SIM card they provide, but if you buy the mobile phone in a store and it is released, you can choose any operator you want.
How to Know if my Mobile is Free – Easy Methods
There are various methods to determine if your phone is an unlocked mobile or not and check which operator it is linked to if you wonder how to find a mobile phone company. We offer you some quick and easy options:
Insert the SIM Card of Another Operator
One of the easiest ways to find out if mobile is free or not is to insert the SIM card of another operator:
- Turn off your mobile and remove the back cover to access the slot where the SIM card is inserted.
- Remove the battery from the mobile if necessary.
- If you have a built-in SIM, proceed to remove it.
- Insert the SIM card from another operator and replace the battery and cover.
- Please turn on the mobile and wait a few seconds for its operating system to start.
If the computer software asks you for an unlock code, it means that your mobile is tied to a specific mobile operator. That is, it is not unlocked. If the mobile immediately recognizes the inserted card’s new operator, it will mean that the mobile is released and ready to be used in any operator.
Review the Software Information
Another way to find out if a Smartphone is unlocked or not is by checking the software version. This is done depending on the version of the operating system (OS):
- Remove the SIM card from your Smartphone.
- Turn on the phone and wait for the entire operating system to load.
- Go to the phone settings section (you will have access by sliding the touch screen from top to bottom). Click on the gear icon.
- Find the section that says “About phone” or “General information” and press. Then go to “Software Information.”
If the phone is unlocked, no operator name should appear.
Enter a Code
By dialing code from the call option, the mobile will indicate whether it is blocked or not. This code is different for each of the mobile manufacturers, so below, we show you the codes for the most recognized brands:
- Huawei: dial the code * # * # 2846579 # * # * and call. You must follow the path Project Menu – Network Settings – SIM Card lock state query. If the word NW_LOCKED appears, the cell phone will be blocked by the manufacturer.
- Samsung: enter the code * # 7465625 # in the call dialer and call. If OFF’s value appears on the screen as the first option, it will mean that the cell phone is unlocked.
- Sony: Enter * # * # 7378423 # * # * on the call screen. Go to Service Info – Configuration. Locate Rooting Status. If the word “YES” appears, your Smartphone is unlocked.
- LG: go to Settings – About phone – Software information. If the section “Software version” ends in EUR-XX, it is free.
Find your IMEI
All mobile phones have an IMEI code that you can locate both within the phone and on the manufacturer’s packaging. Go to Settings – Device Information, and there you will find the 15-digit code. Next, go to the imei.info website, press CHECK, and find out if your phone is locked or unlocked. This option is also perfect if you are not sure how to know your mobile phone company.
How to Unlock my Mobile
Also read: How to Block a Stolen Phone
You have already learned how to know if your mobile is free or not. What happens if the answer is negative? If you need to free your mobile, either to use it with any other national operator, because you want to sell it or because you are about to travel abroad.
Via IMEI Code
- Get the IMEI code of your mobile.
- Call the operator to get the phone’s unlock code, and then insert the new SIM card into your Smartphone.
- Type in the unlocking code provided by the operator, and voila, you will have unlocked the mobile, and it can now be used with the card of any other operator.
- Configure the APN of your phone so that you can surf the internet with the mobile data offered by the new company. You will already have a released mobile!
Through a Private Company
Private companies are responsible for unlocking mobile phones, reviewing IMEI codes, phone resets, and other similar services. You can go to them to unlock your Smartphone, but in any case, when you contact them to unlock the mobile, you will have to provide them with your IMEI code and the current operator of the phone, etc.
Adapted and translated by The Cop Cart Staff