It is essential to defrost it to prepare it; there are many ways to carry out this procedure. It is necessary to take into account that it must be done correctly. Otherwise, there is a risk of contracting a bacterial disease.
Each person has a particular way of defrosting a chicken. Some do it in the refrigerator, others in the sink, as well as those who cook it frozen. That is why in this article, you will learn how to defrost the chicken.
How to defrost chicken fast
The best alternative to defrost chicken quickly is to place it inside the kitchen sink, in a large container, and fill it with cold water. To do this, you must follow these steps.
Read also: Ham Sandwich: Learn How to Make
- Place the chicken in a large bowl.
- Fill the bowl with cold water so that it covers the frozen chicken entirely and let it rest.
- Make sure to change the cold water every half hour.
It is essential to mention that by no means should you use hot water, since, with the very sudden change in temperature, bacteria proliferate more easily. Thus, it is better to freeze it with some time.
This way, you can defrost the chicken easily and faster. If it’s only 1/2 kilo of chicken, it will defrost in about an hour and a half, and when it comes to 1 kilo, you may have to wait for about three hours.
How to Defrost Chicken in the Microwave
Many people use the microwave to defrost the chicken. If you want to try this method, remember to follow the steps below:
- Remove the wrapper the chicken comes in.
- Place it in a container that can be put into the microwave; this way, you can avoid spilling the chicken juice and making the microwave dirty.
- Put the “defrost” mode in your microwave for a short time (about 2 minutes).
- If, after removing the chicken, it is still frozen, you can repeat the procedure without problems until you see that it is good.
How to defrost chicken without a microwave
Although it is a long process, you can defrost the chicken in the fridge. It is essential that in the process, the juices of the chicken are not spilled in the rest of the foods that are there. Just like when you do with the microwave, place it in a container or pan and on one of the first shelves of the refrigerator.
In the same way, you must be aware of the times; A whole chicken can take up to 24 hours to defrost, but if it is only 500g or similar weight, the chicken could take 5 hours or a little longer.
Once that time has elapsed, you should remove the chicken from the refrigerator to check if it is thawed. To evaluate it, press on it. In case you still feel pieces of ice or parts that are somewhat harder than usual, it will be necessary to defrost it a little more.
After it has thawed, it can continue to be stored in the fridge for 1 to 2 days. It should be mentioned that once the chicken is defrosted, it should not be frozen again.
How to cook frozen chicken
If frozen chicken is cooked incorrectly, bacterial diseases can appear (such as salmonella that affects the intestines). It must be cooked well to avoid the risk. That is, it must be cooked much more than when it is cooked when found at room temperature. There are several ways to cook frozen chicken, including recipes such as breaded or breaded chicken breasts, wings, or thighs.
Also read: Club Sandwich: Learn How to Make
To prepare the chicken like this, you have to season it, pass it through the breadcrumbs with which it will be battered, place it in the oven at the temperature indicated above, and, if you prefer, finish cooking it on the grill or fried in the pan. If you choose to try another way of preparing this meat, another widely used recipe for cooking frozen chicken is roasting it in the oven.
How to cook frozen chicken in the oven
- The first thing you should do to cook this dish is to preheat the oven to 177ºC. While the first thing happens, place it on a tray that can withstand the heat.
- Before putting it in the oven, season it with garlic, cumin, lemon, onion, among other ingredients that you usually use.
- Then, put it in the oven for 90 minutes; once that time is over, raise the temperature of the appliance to 232 degrees and continue cooking it for a time of 15 minutes to half an hour. In this period, the skin of the chicken will brown.
- When the latter is finished, take it out of the oven and place a meat thermometer on it. If it shows a temperature of 74ºC, it means that it is ready.
- Next, let the chicken rest for about 15 to 10 minutes.
- If you chop it, you visualize that the meat is red or pink, you should put the chicken back in the oven for a few more minutes until cooked.
- You should consider that roasting a chicken that is more than 2 kilograms can take approximately three hours to be well cooked and free of bacteria.
Adapted and translated by The Cop Cart Staff