The musty smell is quite unpleasant, and therefore no one likes that stench on their shoes. The problem with this type of strong odor is that they remain impregnated, and the longer we leave them in the shoes, the more difficult it will be to remove them later.
Generally, this smell appears on clothing when stored in the closet for a long time or when it is not dried properly. However, in footwear, the smell of humidity can be caused mainly by excessive sweating of the feet or by the constant and daily use of a shoe.
In any case, this unpleasant smell can be eliminated thanks to a series of cleaning tricks. Keep reading this article and discover how to remove the musty smell from shoes with different home remedies.
Teabags to Remove Musty Smell from Shoes
Infusion or tea bags are one of the most used tricks to eliminate this bad smell from footwear. Because they are made with plants with aromatic properties such as chamomile, thyme, or cinnamon, or with fruits with a pleasant smell such as lemon or orange, the infusion bags can absorb the humidity that is causing that stench in your sneakers.
How to Use Tea for Smelly Shoes
Read also: How to Remove Bad Smell from Your Sofas
- To use this remedy, you will have to let the sachets dry well (if you have used them for an infusion).
- Then you will have to put them in each shoe so that one is in the area of the toes, a few others near the edges, and another through the heel of the shoe.
- Let them sit on the shoes overnight and remove them the next morning.
- You can check that your shoes will no longer have that stench.
Water and Alcohol to Remove the Stench from your Shoes
Another home remedy to eliminate bad odors is alcohol. It is a solution with antiseptic and antibacterial properties, which helps clean the shoe and eliminate bacteria’s accumulation, causing that musty smell.
Alcohol for Shoe Odor: Steps
- Fill half a spray bottle with water and the other half with rubbing alcohol.
- Shake it until the ingredients are well diluted and mixed.
- Once you have the remedy ready, spray the inside of the shoes with this lotion and then let it work for a while.
- When you notice that the bad smell has been removed, rinse your shoes with water.
Baking Soda to Eliminate Shoe Odor
Sodium bicarbonate is one of the most used products in household cleaning. However, in addition to these utilities, it is a natural remedy to eliminate that musty smell from our footwear since, on the one hand, it has antibacterial and neutralizing properties that eliminate the accumulation of microorganisms that cause this stench. On the other, it has antiseptic properties. That helps clean and disinfect the inside of the shoes.
How to Apply Baking Soda for a Musty Smell
- To use this remedy, you just have to sprinkle the inside of the shoes with baking soda until they are well covered.
- Let the baking soda work overnight to absorb moisture and odor from your shoes.
- The next morning, remove the baking soda by shaking the shoes, and you will have them without that unpleasant smell.
Lavender for a good smell in your shoes
Also read: How to Clean Your Sofa Upholstery
Another of the best home remedies to remove musty odor from shoes is lavender. It is an ideal medicinal plant to remove the stench from footwear as it has excellent aromatic properties that will absorb bad odors and leave a pleasant perfume on them.
Steps to Use lavender for Shoe Odor
- To use this cleaning trick, you will have to cut a few lavender sprigs and insert them inside your shoes.
- Leave them inside overnight and remove them the next morning when you go to put them on.
- You can see that it has left an excellent aroma on your sneakers, and your shoes will no longer smell musty.
Lemon Peels for Musty Shoe Odor
Lemon is a fruit that stands out for its acidic taste and its peels’ excellent aroma, making it very suitable for the musty smell of shoes. In addition to having a good smell, the shells have antiseptic properties that help clean the footwear to prevent this type of stinky odors.
How to Use Lemon to Remove Moisture from Shoes
- Peel a lemon, making sure that the peels contain the whitish part (since it is the one that will absorb the bad smell).
- Slip them into your shoes, letting them work throughout the night.
- The next morning you will notice that the footwear has been free of any unpleasant odor and impregnated with the characteristic smell of lemons.
Adapted and translated by The Cop Cart Staff