The order and cleanliness inside the house seem fundamental to us, and we always like to enjoy clean spaces and furniture so that our day to day is more pleasant. But sometimes, depending on where we live or the rest of the family members, for example, in the case that we have pets, cleaning can be a bit more complicated and must be done more regularly or find tricks that help us streamline it.
One of the furniture that suffers the most is the sofa. It is one of the most used in a home since it is usually a meeting place with the rest of the family and the perfect place to rest, watch television, play or relax. Stains are inevitable that, in the end, no matter how much covers are used or treated with the utmost care, they end up appearing, but they are easier to avoid than the bad smell, which can remain constant even though we wash the sofa. If it is a common problem in your home, we explain how to remove the sofa’s bad smell.
White Vinegar to Remove Bad Smells on the Sofa
The bad smell of the sofa can appear due to various factors, such as continuous daily use, wear, tear, or the presence of pets in the home, such as the smell of a dog or cat. But one of the most effective home remedies for removing sofa odor is white vinegar.
Read also: How to Clean Your Sofa Upholstery.
Surely you have heard before that white vinegar has disinfectant properties and helps eliminate the presence of certain insects, in addition to eliminating unpleasant odors. Therefore, by using it as a remedy, you will also be disinfecting your sofa.
- To apply it correctly, first get a sprayer, which you can find in any store.
- After that, you only need 700 ml of water and 120 ml of white vinegar. Put both into the sprayer and shake to mix properly.
- When the mixture is already homogeneous, you have to spray on the armchairs and sofa cushions and let them dry by evaporation. You do not need to wear any cloth.
- We recommend that you open the windows in the room to aid drying and help the vinegar smell dissolve.
Lavender, Thyme, and Baking Soda to Remove Bad Smell from the Sofa
If the smell of vinegar, although that of white is milder than that of wine vinegar, is too strong for you or you do not like it, you can try another home remedy that is just as effective to eliminate the bad odors that remain on the sofa.
We recommend using a mixture of baking soda, thyme, and lavender to remove odor from your sofa fabric. We recommend that you do this trick at night because you will have to leave the mixture for a few hours without removing it. Follow these steps:
- So that, as with vinegar, we get a disinfectant effect, we will use sodium bicarbonate. In a bowl, add 180 grams (almost a glass) of bicarbonate and add half a glass of dried thyme leaves and flowers and another half lavender. Both flowers will take care of erasing unpleasant odors with a scent that you will love.
- Stir the three ingredients into the bowl, and when they are well mixed, you will have your home remedy ready.
- Take the bowl and sprinkle the mixture all over the sofa.
- Then let it sit overnight, about 12 hours or so.
- When this time has passed, all you have to do is remove the mixture from the sofa and the cushions. We advise you to use a vacuum cleaner. It will be much easier, and it will take a little time.
How to Avoid Bad Smells on the Sofa
Also read: How to Clean Microfiber Suede Upholstery.
Most likely, you are fed up with having to wash the sofa and cushions every so often, and despite this, it is possible that the bad smells still do not disappear. For this problem to occur less frequently, we can resort to certain tips and tricks to avoid a bad smell on the sofa.
- If you have to buy a new sofa, we recommend choosing a model with covers removed for easy washing. This way, it will be easier to eliminate any bad odor that may exist and that it does not persist in the fabrics of the rest of the sofa, preventing the entire sofa from giving off unpleasant odors.
- If you want to delay the arrival of bad odors even more after washing the covers, we advise you to put about 100 ml of white vinegar in the washing machine drawer when you go to spin. So you will also be ensuring disinfection.
- It is highly advisable, especially if you have pets that keep the room where the sofa is very ventilated. In this way, you will also prevent bad odors from easily clinging to the fabric.
- If you smoke or someone else does it in your house, avoid having tobacco smoke near the sofa, as the fabric will absorb it quickly, and it can be a lingering smell.
- Keep the areas around the sofa very clean, since if there are food or liquid remains nearby, apart from being able to stain the sofa, its fabrics will absorb odors easily.
Adapted and translated by The Cop Cart Staff